Friday 18 October 2013

Return of the Blog!

So, didn't realise i last blogged in March!! It's October now, and i can't sleep! 
I had a great few months of running from March through July, several 16 milers with Agent A, and lots of Latrigg & Skiddaw ascents with the guys from work. Also had a cracking afternoon playing on the Langdale Pikes with John Millen, falling in bogs and losing the path! I upped my cycling too which despite my intense enjoyment led to tightnening of a few bits and pieces resulting in a sore knee, so i took around 6 weeks off to get it treated, Marcus Scotney doing a fantastic job!
First 'proper' run back was after work on the usual 6 miler up and round Latrigg, joined by WHW CR holder Paul Giblin. I'd met Paul a few times but had never ran with him. He floated around the 6 miles without making a sound, or getting out of breath, whilst i thumped my way round like an asthmatic elephant!
A week later Mark Lyons met me from work and we headed to Buttermere, up Scarth Gap Pass and hit Seat, High Crag, High Style & Red Pike, finishing off with a dip in Buttermere! 
After that a chance to meet ultra legend Scott Jurek popped up, so Agent A & I scooted off to Ambleside to meet him. Taller than expected he was an imposing figure, but full of praise for fell runners, admitting the manicured trails of the USA were a far cry from beasting straight up sheep trods & scree! 
John Millen was in town again a couple weeks ago and he drove me to a 2013 Latrigg ascent PB, followed by Brundholme Woods finest singletrack trails!
Sunday gone i knocked a huge 6minutes off my Skiddaw ascent PB in pretty awful conditions! 
Today i knocked 2 minutes 18 seconds of my 5k PB too as i begin speed working to hopefully qualify to represent GB at the Transplant Games in 2015 in Argentina, i have until August 2014 to get as near 20min 5k as possible, so lots to do!
Health wise i have my annual MOT on the heart next week, which is surgery and a bunch of tests, and as most of you are now aware i have been diagnosed with Cancer. Thankfully, the c-word is scarier than the prognosis. Its a very small lump, and the type of cancer is non agressive and in 98% of cases slicing the bastard out is a cure. After 2 days of initial shock & upset i'm in a much better frame of mind, and just waiting for a date for them to rid me of it!
All said & done i'm doing pretty good! I reckon Skiddaw & 5k pb's this week are a good indication that next weeks results will be positive, and you all can look forward to a more regular & positive blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment