Friday 28 December 2012

A Christmas Update

Morning / Afternoon / Evening Where-ever you all may be!

So its been a while since I last blogged, life has been a bit hectic!

Since my last post, on the 9th of December, I have only ran once :( on the 10th December! A near PB on a local hilly trail for 3.5 miles, the first mile was an utter let down! The 7 miles from the previous day had my hill climbing legs a bit tired, and I ran a slow ascent to the high point of the run!
The remainder of the run includes a nice flat trail at the high point, a muddy descent into the forest and then 2/3rds of 'Bastard Hill' ( this is not the official name of the hill, simply my name for it! From bottom to top it's about a mile long, all uphill, with varying degrees of steepness! ) and then a steep, fast, 1/2 mile descent back to the car. I was pleasantly surprised with the nearness of a PB upon completion however, as I knew I had been running quite slowly! Maybe I am was making progress!!

So, into no running for nearly 3 weeks!
Firstly - WORK!!! up until the 11th Dec, work had comprised of 2 weeks on holiday, 2 weeks brand training in a local hotel, and 1 week helping out in our shop in another town and some management training. The reason for such a relaxed 5 weeks is simple, our store was closed for a massive refit!
Cue 6:45am on Dec 11th, and work started on refilling the shop with fixtures, fittings and stock! That first day I worked from 6:45am until 10pm, with a 30 minute break all day, a tad busy! the following 3 days were to be of similar hideousness, 8am until 10pm though with a longer break! I had previously agreed to only work 10 hour days, as I didn't want to push my limits and possible make myself ill...the best laid plans and all that! Please note I was told to leave after 10 hours each day, but i couldn't knowingly leave my colleagues working for another 4 hours each day!
On the 2nd day I also had to go to the hospital in Newcastle for a check up and to see the Transplant Cardiologist. Though this might sound like a reprieve of sorts, but it means a 4:30am alarm in order to be at the hospital for 7am!
The visit went OK, blood was taken, I had the usual X-ray and ECG and then went for breakfast! The only issue came with the blood pressure, even though I know I am doing OK, being at the hospital always raises it, and I had a 'visiting' Doctor, so there was much ado about nothing really!

Upon the completion of the massive week at work, and the hospital visit adding to stress levels, it was back to business as usual at work, 8-9 hours a day! On the 3rd day back however I had an incredibly sore foot again, resulting in a limp and grimace!
I was put in touch, via twitter, with Daniel Gerber ( @GlasgowOsteo ) who helped me discover that it wasn't actually a problem in my foot, but in my shin. Basically a tightening in the front of my shin muscle was pulling on the internal parts of my foot, causing the pain. Using a foam roller and 'The Stick' I have been able to release the tightness, and my foot has returned to a pain free running tool!

I'm currently in the throes of manflu however, added to my suppressed immune system it has put me on my arse, so still no running!

Looking forward however, I have a few goals for 2013!

  • Run on New Years Day, no matter how long or short, otherwise I will actually lose the plot!
  • Run at least one stage of the Bob Graham Round every month
  • Run 21 miles on the 21st Anniversary of my Heart Transplant on May 10th (anyone who wishes to join me is more than welcome)
So there we go, a crap end to 2012, but i'm relatively healthy, still love running, and i have a few things to look forward to completing in 2013!

Happy New Year Everyone!

1 comment: