Tuesday 29 January 2013

Health Worries

Evening All,

I've not done a blog for a couple of weeks as I've been struggling with a few odd health issues. Firstly I was randomly dry-heaving a lot! Never actually being sick, despite eating Etc. -  Just random bouts of violent dry heaving! I had suffered it before, but i was very stressed at the time with work and undergoing my annual surgeries to check on the state of my heart.
On the 15th Jan I was about 1/4 mile into a run and it started, and it didn't stop, so I had to give up and go back to the car and home. This was the 4th day in a row that it had happened, twice more at home and once at work. I didn't have to be in work until late so I took myself to the Dr's for the 'Emergency Clinic'
The Dr ran blood tests and gave me a tablet to empty my stomach, but she doubted my stomach was the issue, as I wasn't actually being sick. She signed me off work for 7 days as stress was quickly identified as a possible cause.
The next few days the stomach tablets helped, but i still had the sickly feeling in my stomach & throat and i was utterly worn out. Sleeping 9/10pm right through to 8am and then napping during the day too. Tiredness is usually my biggest indicator that something is wrong, followed closely by cold sores on my lips - which appeared in force 2 days after seeing the Dr.
At this point alarm bells start ringing, super tired and 7 separate cold sores had me fearing the worst. The initial blood work returned with some high levels of Potassium and Creatinine, both of which affect the levels of medication in my bloodstream and aren't advisable! The second issue was the actual blood cells, they were enlarged.
The Dr ran more blood tests to check the Potassium and Creatinine, and more tests for anaemia, vitamin B-12 deficiency and a host of others. I also rang the hospital and spoke to the Cardiac Transplant team and they agreed that i should pop through and have them look at me too, just to be sure.
The hospital was happy with all the levels that they tested for, and the ECG and X-rays showed nothing wrong with the heart - a massive relief!
Whilst this was going on I noticed my sickness was mostly in the mornings, when i usually eat scones or toast...my sister and mam are both intolerant to gluten & wheat - could I be too?
So I cut out wheat completely, and 6 days later i feel massively better! My stomach hasn't felt this good for about 2 years, and with my stomach feeling better my general anxiety and panic has reduced too! Which is also nice! I'm back at the Dr's tomorrow for the anaemia and B-12 et al results as I'm still really tired, but feeling much much better!
The Dr's at the hospital however, were concerned with the fatigue, so have pretty much demanded i reduce my hours at work to 4 days a week, meaning that whilst money will be tight for a while, at least my health won't suffer.
Today i laced up the MT110's and put Inca in the car and went up to my favourite local trail. Up in Setmurthy Forest. The initial climb was, as always, a killer! But I kept slogging away to the rolling hills across the tops. Across the tops and down the far side was heavy underfoot with the snow melt and non stop for the past few days. #BastardHill was tough today, and admittedly I was reduced to walking 60 paces and then running again, however,  a new PB was won in the process, granted I only shaved 3 seconds off it, but still a new PB! I've started climbing again too, and feel much more confident on the wall, again not having to worry about my stomach is helping massively!
Onwards and upwards now hopefully, my stomach is sorting itself out still, but the signs are good this far, i even managed a meal out for my sisters birthday without any anxiety or panics, first time in a long time!

Time to stop being afraid of things i can't control, and face them down anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment