Tuesday 4 February 2014

Little by little

Yesterday marked another significant improvement in my running. I have a 5k route with just under 200ft of ascent that i run regularly, either as recovery runs after longer days out, or when i have little time left in the day. 
The first time i ran it, towards the end of 2013, it took me around 35minutes. Which was a sure sign of my ability to plod along at a snails pace! I took little comfort in the knowledge that the route includes crossing 2 main roads and 6 stiles & gates. I set my sights on sub 30.
Slowly i worked my average time down to around 32/33 minutes, still feeling slow. My PB had improved to just under 31mins. 
I January i lowered my PB again to just over 30 minutes, and my average was now sub 31, no matter the conditions (a mile of swamp like fields, sometimes waist deep in flood water) or how tired my legs were on recovery runs. 
Yesterday i woke from a nap (don't judge, i'm on a weeks holiday!) and felt the urge to run. Nothing felt particularly different, and by the start of mile 3, the constant glue like mud was tiring my legs quickly.
I got home and stopped my watch, 29'52! A new PB by 26seconds and the first sub 30 on the route! 
Still slow for 3 miles for a lot of people out there, but a great achievement for me! 
Sights firmly set on sub 29 now!


No comments:

Post a Comment